This recipe is completely done by my husband. It is a very simple and in my book a very traditional Bengali recipe. I think every Bangladeshi household makes this recipe with little variations almost every other day, which is the case with us. We are cutting back on eating red meat to just once or twice a week. In substitution we are increasing our chicken and fish intake. Hope you all Enjoy this recipe.
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 1 Onion
- 4-6 Green Cardamons Wholes
- 4-6 Cloves
- 2-4 Bay Leafs
- 2-4 Cinnamon Sticks
- 2-4 Tablespoons Ginger and Garlic Paste
- 4-6 Whole Black Peppercorns
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Power
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1-2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder (According to Taste)
- 1-3 Teaspoons of Salt (According to Taste)
- 1-2 Teaspoons Chicken Curry Powder (Found at Local International Store)
- 4-6 Russet Potatoes
- 4-6 Green Chillies (Garnish)
- Canola Oil
- Water as Needed
In a deep karai (Pot) heat oil, add the onions, whole spices, ginger and garlic paste. Add Water as needed and continuously mix.
Once the marinade is ready – Add chicken pieces. Mixing and coating all the chicken. Add water as needed. Cook 50% and then Add Cubed Potatoes. Adding more water.
Cover and cook of Medium heat until the chicken and potatoes are fully cooked.
Serve with Hot Rice or Fresh Paratha or Naan Bread.